Strengthening School Leadership
As is true in any organization, the leadership of a school matters a lot — a great principal makes a huge difference for kids and for teachers. From hiring the best teachers to creating a positive, learning-focused school environment, an excellent principal can have a significant impact on teaching, learning, achievement, safety, and a climate of respect and joy.
That’s why Stand works with families to advocate with school districts and states to make recruiting, selecting, and keeping great principals a top priority.
KEY AREAS OF WORK
- Advocate for states to adopt standards and expectations for principals, and have clear plans for principal recruitment, development, and support
- Advocate for districts to have a strategic, comprehensive approach for principal talent management that includes early-career training ands upport, and opportunities for increased autonomy over time
- Advocate for states and districts to implement a fair evaluation system tied to student achievement as well as professional growth and ethics
- Advocate for districts to have fair compensation and incentive systems to retain the best and most effective principals
WHAT THE RESEARCH SAYS
- A principal is the second most influential in-school person on a student’s learning, next to the teacher.
- Leadership is a catalyst and essential to successful school turnaround efforts.
- Good principals attract, support, and retain a high quality teachers.
- Principals need high quality mentoring and professional development tailored to individual and district needs.